Future Tasmania is a not-for-profit, non-party-political organisation
that promotes education, research and transition toward sustainable futures.
To promote the development, communication and uptake of innovations and
initiatives that create a healthy community, economy and environment within
- To increase the capability of local communities to create prosperity,
economic growth, and sustainable lifestyles where they live.
- To promote and disseminate research and innovation that can contribute
to a vibrant and healthy Tasmania.
- To contribute to Tasmania's sustainable development, including the
protection of resources such as water, air, soil and flora and fauna.
Future Tasmania believes in the ability of Tasmanians to maintain and grow their local communities and economic security, while preserving Tasmania’s unique natural environment.
Future Tasmania was established in 2005 by a group of Hobart citizens who shared concerns about how Tasmania would respond to the challenges of local and international issues, including:
- Community disempowerment
- Wealth disparity
- Climate change
- Peak oil
- Natural resource depletion
- Changing demographics, including an ageing population and the influx of environmental and political refugees
Future Tasmania fosters critical thinking, innovative ideas, vision-sharing, and practical solutions towards a sustainable future. We directly encourage:
- Sustainable natural resource management
- Ethical leadership and participatory democracy
- Empowering groups working for a sustainable Tasmania
- Producer and consumer cooperatives in all sectors of the economy (agricultural, industrial and service)
- Seed bank research and development
- Regional economic planning and control
See ways you can get involved with Future Tasmania